Come out to the Mequon-Thiensville Rotary Family Day on April 28th | Environment
Join the Mequon-Thiensville Sunrise Rotary on April 28th for Rotary Family Day! Come out and plant seedlings of native shrubs along the edge of Pukaite Woods at the Mequon Rotary Park, 4100 W. Highland Rd. Rotary Family Day begins at 9:00 a.m.
If you're planning on coming, don't forget to bring gardening gloves and shovels. A limited supply of equipment will be available.
Rotary plans to offer a brief, informative presentation by Carol Bangs, instructor of Horticulture at MATC, about the plant communities in this unique woodland. The presentation will be followed by tours through the Woods on walking paths built by Rotary. Starting at 10:00 a.m. native shrub seedlings will be planted by volunteers in areas where Rotary has worked over years to remove invasive plant species of buckthorn and honeysuckle that threaten the health and future quality of the woodland. The purpose of planting native shrubs is to shade out sprouts of those invasive species.
Pukaite Woods is an 18 acre woodland at the north end of Mequon Rotary Park. The woodland was donated anonymously in 1992 in recognition and honor of 11 years of civic service and leadership provided by Mequon's retiring mayor at that time, Mayor Connie Pukaite. According to Bangs, Pukaite Woods has one of the greatest diversity of woodland plant species in a single location accessible to the public in Mequon. Mequon-Thiensville Sunrise Rotary has served voluntarily for 20 years as the stewardship group to preserve this unique woodland for the benefit and enjoyment of families from Mequon, Thiensville and surrounding communities.
For more information call about this event call 262-242-2778.
Top Grafton / Saukville Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Powerball jackpot worth $590 million creates lotto fever
- 17-year-old from Mequon will stand trial in sexual assault case
- Boy accused of sexual assault at Cedarburg daycare appears in court
- Woman charged with failure to report child abuse, neglect
- Adult, child in custody in connection with Cedarburg daycare case
- Free booster and car seat safety check Thursday, May 23
- Man accused of turning test drive into joy ride to stand trial
- Wash. Co. church to have Sheriff’s deputy at every church service
- Germantown church hires Washington Co. Sheriff's Deputies to provide security
- Executive director from Downtown West Bend Association resigns